Saturday, March 7, 2009

Don't Hire a "Word Mechanic" -- YOU Lose in the End

Sherry and I just changed my website around a little bit. I have been concerned that the home page was too focused upon Rhetoric, and that it was scaring away some potential clients. And, because I am a writer, I feel like my site needs to have lots of writing on it. I know, I know... traditional thought among website designers tends to focus more upon graphics and less upon writing, but for the writer, well, it makes sense to fill pages with words -- more importantly, my words.

Now, if you look on my home page, you'll see that I make an important point to potential clients: you can hire someone who writes from the heart with poetic rhythm, or you can hire a "word mechanic." I also ask people who see this home page to think about their project, and I encourage them to do their due-diligence when seeking the best writer they can get. And for good reason.

Writing is just like any business. You can get a quality product at a premium price, or you can get a poor product for cheap. The question is, what is the best value? Well, that's the point I'm trying to make on my home page. For writing, value comes from the effect that the work has upon the audience. If you can get someone to read the work, and that person is motivated to act upon the purpose of that work (buy a product, read the next book coming out, hire a company for services, or just finish the book), then there is all kinds of value. This is what good writing brings to the table, and there is really no way to quantify it differently.

"Word mechanics," though, are the people out there who can write. Meaning, they have the ability to come up with an outline, write a thesis statement, and put sentences together to make an essay or book. This type of writing is dry, and it has no soul. It doesn't motivate the reader to read the work, and rarely will the reader be encouraged to act upon the goal set out from the start. It's just a boring read.

Poetics (i.e., use of poetic devices) can be incorporated into every genre out there. For example, a well-written business proposal should be full of poetic devices. Writers who write from the heart generally use these elements to draw the reader into the narrative. It is usually accompanied with a strong, unique voice, a style that focuses more upon the message and audience than third grade grammar rules, color, and life. I tell people that, when I write, I want the audience to feel, see, taste, smell, and hear the words. I want them to imagine that they are living in the story. When readers get that, they get it, if you know what I mean. They will bite hook, line, and sinker every time.

One of the most powerful components of poetics is cadence or rhythm. To keep someone interested in finishing a work, the writer has to be musical. The words have to flow like notes on a sheet of music. Why do you think that I love opera so much? It's the perfect combination of music and poetry. And, it's the hallmark of great writing. If you read something from a "word mechanic," there is no cadence. It reads like a textbook... boring, long, and difficult to get through.

So, remember, if you're looking to have something written for you, find a writer who masters writing from the heart and pulling words from the soul instead of seeking a cheap "word mechanic." While it may cost more upfront, if you truly believe in your project, then it will pay many dividends in the end.

No comments: