Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Best Lesson

What is the greatest gift that I can give my family? Is it the toy train that Ian has been asking from Santa, is it books, is it other toys? No, none of those gifts are more than what they are --- toys. Sure, they will light up Ian's day, and I can't wait to see the look on his face. As a father, I'm so excited that this is the first Christmas where Ian really understands Santa Claus, and he is excited about tonight.

We have it all ready. Cookies for Santa, carrots for the reindeer, and even reindeer food to sprinkle outside tonight. Ian is ready for Santa, and his joy is worth it all.

But even through all of that, I still don't think those are the things that are going to make a life-long difference in him. Isn't it my responsibility as a parent to impart him lifelong lessons? I think it is. Over the years, the toys will break and will eventually be forgotten, but I want to give him something more precious and more lasting than anything else.

That's why, tonight, we are going to raid his piggy bank. Not that there's a lot in there. He's used some of his money already for trains throughout the year (and I have to admit, I've snuck a few coins out of there when I needed some change -- what parent hasn't done that upon occasion?). But tonight, before we go to Mass, we are going to teach him how to share. How to give to the poor. The amount doesn't matter. After all, a penny is worth everything to him now. And when we get to Mass, the first thing we're going to do is let him put some of his savings into the Poor Box. That will be the real message of Christmas for him, I hope, and I pray that it will be a message he'll remember for a long time. Knowing how caring a boy he is, I believe it will be.

Merry Christmas to All!

No comments: